Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Cabbage

Bountiful Basket items used: Cabbage, celery
Cabbage is not something I had ever cooked with before - so these recipes are all new to me! I used the large head of cabbage and cut it in half and got out the center core. I used half for each recipe.
Haluski
Boil noodles (we used 2 pkgs ramen with 1 pkg chicken seasoning)
Melt butter in large skillet (about 1 cube - but less would be okay too)
Add cut up cabbage (if I make it again, I would cut it up smaller)
Sprinkle about 1-2tsp garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Cover and let cabbage cook down (I let it go too long - you still want a little crisp and color to it)
Then add the noodles with a small portion of the water and mix
Serve hot.
Sweet coleslaw
Use the second half of cabbage and slice thinly (or use food processor to shred)
Cut up 1 celery stalk very finely and add to cabbage (you can add any other veggies, like carrots, if you want to add more flavor and color)
Sprinkle 1-2 Tbsp dried onion flakes (or chop real onion) to cabbage
Mix. Then sprinkle about 4 Tbsp sugar onto mixture and mix to coat. Let sit for a couple minutes.
Add 1/3 cup of mayo and add salt and pepper to taste.
Mix well. Chill till ready to serve.

No comments: