Monday, July 19, 2010

Sausage and Pasta

BB Food Items used: Olive Oil (ordered awhile ago), White Asparagus, Cherry Tomatoes, Onions
So I didn't know what to make for dinner tonight and decided to open up the fridge and make something up. So here goes...
First I thinly sliced about 3/4 of a yellow onion and about 1/4 of a red onion. It is what I had left in the fridge. Threw it in a pan with a little Extra Virgin Olive oil and some salt. I put it on a medium heat and let them caramelize for about 15-20 minutes. It looks like a lot but it totally shrinks down. Then I took some sweet Italian sausage took it out of the casing and threw it in the pan to cook. I let that cook for about another 20 min or until the sausage was done. I think I put in a little olive oil and salt in it too.
Looks real appetizing huh!
Then I put some penne in and cooked it al dente. When the sausage was done I put it in a bowl. I then took the white asparagus and snapped it to wear it was good, and then put it in the same skillet in the sausage was in cooked it with a tiny bit of olive oil and zested half a lemon and juiced it, just b/c I had it in my fridge, I don't think you have to have it. I also seasoned it with salt and pepper. I cooked it for probably about 3-5 min, so it's still has a little bite but soft. You could cook it to whatever consistency you like. I then halved my cherry tomatoes and threw them in with the asparagus and let them cook just for a min or 2. Just enough to crisp them up. I seasoned with salt and pepper again.
Then I put that in with the sausage and mixed in the pasta. Drizzled a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper to your liking. I then added some freshly grated Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning. Mix it all together sprinkle a little parsley and it's ready. Oh and I took some of the sourdough bread, grilled it with some olive oil and garlic salt. Nick and I sprinkled a little red pepper flakes for heat, but left it off the girls, total pefrence call.
My whole family loved it. Reagan especially loved the asparagus. You could use whatever veggies you have in your fridge for this, and use chicken, or no meat at all!

3 comments:

Emily said...

Are you sure about this?

*Karleena* said...

I would definitely do it w/ a different meat...but it might change the flavor! Too bad I can't get the sausage flavor in a bottle! (Or I'd make it like you said - and I'd just pick out the meat! haha!) Thanks so much for sharing!!

Christi said...

I am not a big sausage fan, but it was good. Em I know this sounds random but its good.